One of the favorite projects at my advent workshop was gold foiling tags. Everyone couldn’t believe how easy it was. I have a gold foil printing tutorial for you today showing how you can make your own gold foil prints at home. Professional printers charge a lot to gold foil, but for a tiny fraction of the cost you can do it yourself in only a few minutes. The key is using laminating foil (available in a variety of colors) and laser prints. Download your FREE tags and follow the instructions below to create your own gold foil gift tags.
- Place laser printed tag with design face up.
- Place gold foil on printed design. Gold side up.
- Keep the foil in position and place in between a half sheet of text weight paper. Cardstock is too thick and won’t allow the gold foil to get hot enough to adhere to the printed design.
- Set your laminator to the highest setting. If using an iron, set to the highest dry setting.
- Send the half sheet of paper through the laminator, folded end first.
- If using an iron, place on a hard surface and press down firmly on the half sheet of paper for about 30 seconds. Make sure to iron over the entire area of the printed design inside the paper. You may have to test out different times with your iron. Be sure to protect the hard surface you are ironing on with a thin cloth, while still keeping the surface firm.
- Peel off gold foil.
- Finish your tag with a string.
You may have tiny flecks that don’t completely transfer to the printed design. All of the tags are printed in gold to help mask the little imperfections that come with doing it at home. This technique isn’t perfect, but for the price and convenience, you can’t go wrong.